Tuesday, June 1, 2010

That's Shocking!

So I went to a dinner party last night. A small affair, one of those where you only know the hosts. Suprisingly, the conversation flowed very well, with few awkward pauses and moments of silence. You know those moments where there is nothing to say so you blurt out something like, “boy it has been hot lately.”

Anyway, we are eatting dinner and somehow the topic of the shocker came up. If you do know what that is, I am not explaining it here as I do my best to keep away the weirdos. If only I could remember how the shocker came up in common table conversation, undoubtedly this would be another great story. I am sitting next to this woman and she begins sharing about how she was traumatized after a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. As she was walking down Bourbon Street she looked up just in time to catch a woman give herself the shocker to the raucous crowd below. Let’s just say this little story was enough to silence the table.

After a couple of moments of silent aw, the majority of the table was amazed, not in a negative way, that she had seen this. It was like someone had announced that they had seen a 4 leaf clover, it is a once in a life time kind of thing. I could not help but laugh as that was the only conversation of the entire evening that brought everyone together and engaged.

Whenever I receive invites to dinner parties, I always imagine a bunch of individuals sitting around a table drinking wine and actively discussing art or movies or politics or some other high brow subject. Dinner parties almost never work out this way. Last night, I was sitting around a picnic table, drinking beer and discussing the shocker. It was one of the better dinner parties I have attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment