Saturday, June 20, 2009

To the Patient go the Spoils

There are many things that annoy me about the music industry. The lag time between albums is the one that truly irritates me most. I realize that there is a business strategy behind it where their needs to be time to market, promote and tour the new material but why should fans have to wait 2-3 years for new material? The digital revolution should allow music to get out there quicker. Why not let artists upload new songs as they are recorded and the sell the songs online?

The overwhelming evidence points to larger record labels being the problem. Check out the data below.

Below are the number of albums released by The Who, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan between 1965 - 1975

Rolling Stones - 17
The Who - 11
Bob Dylan - 13

Now think, how many of your favorite artists today have put out even 7-8 albums over a 10 year period. One of my favorite bands Pearl Jam has 8 studio albums but that is over 18 years. I realize that most of the major labels only care about the money but it kills me knowing that I am going to have to wait 2-3 years after I hear a great new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment