Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Times they are a Changing

Why are bad albums from our favorite artists so disappointing? Sustaining a close connection with an artist over an extended period of time is no small feat. Some would say that there is not a connection at all or that your connection is all one sided, with the band doing all the work. This could not be further from the truth. Think about how many midnight album sales you have attended or the hours or even days you have waited in line for a primo floor spot for an artist's show. Fans are just as dedicated as the artists themselves.

Like any other relationship it is one that must grow and evolve. When I look through my Cd's I often wonder whatever happened to that band. It surprises me even more when I look up the band in question and discover that they have 3-4 albums out that I never realized existed. My first instinct used to be to run out and buy the band's latest album. Within the first five minutes of listening to my new purchase I would realize why I had stopped listening to the band. For one reason or another we had grown apart. A lot of people categorize this phenomenon as selling out. It is far easier to label the band a sellout and to move on than to accept that you and the performer's musical interests have changed. It seems like a more pleasant way to part than reduce ourselves to name calling. I understand it though. It is tough when you grow apart from your favorite performers. You have developed a bond. You feel betrayed but why not just enjoy the fond memories you have of listening to that performer. Like clockwork you will buy the next album of the performer with the hope that they have mended their ways and you can begin where you left off. Most of the time this is impossible because like everything else things change.

No comments:

Post a Comment