Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hometown Pride


No matter where you go, you can never truly escape your roots. This became evident to me the other night at the Colorado Rockies game. The Rockies are in first place in the Wild Card Race and have had a phenomenal second half to their season. Still, as I watched the Rockies and Reds I could not help but anxiously watch the scoreboard for Chicago White Sox score. Even though the White Sox are nearly mathematically eliminated, they hold my attention.

When I moved to Denver 3 years ago, I figured that the Rockies would become my team in the National League. I grew up a White Sox fan so cheering for the Cubs has never been an option. In fact, I quietly enjoy watching the Cubs flounder year after year. As I watched the game last night, I strange feeling came over me, much like the one that did in 2007 when the Rockies made it to the World Series. As exciting as the game was, it did not create the same euphoric feeling when the Rockies won in the 9th as when the Sox won close games. I cheered for the home team because I am a baseball fan but it was not the same. I am not emotionally vested in the Rockies. Last night, I came to the realization that this is the closest I can get. Even if I live in Colorado for the rest of my life, nothing can capture the magic of following the White Sox in my youth. Those magical nights in the outfield bleachers when the Cleveland Indians or Milwaukee Brewers would come to town. The crowd would stand for the entire game as you could feel the electricity in the air. All of the 2nd place finishes were worth it when the White Sox won it all in 05'.

Baseball has not quiet been the same for me since they won the World Series. I never thought it would happen in my lifetime. It is strange when you have wished for something for so many years and then it happens and you do not know what to do. A giant weight was lifted off your shoulders.

I go to Rockies games to take it all in. The magic of being at the ballpark is still there. I may have reached my ceiling for how attached I can get to the Rockies but love watching the emotionally vested fans around me. It is hard to match the excitement of watching your favorite team accomplish everything you have ever wanted. Go Rockies.

No comments:

Post a Comment