Sunday, October 25, 2009

The D Word

Having divorced parents is awful. Mine got divorced when I was in second grade, so it has been a while. One thing I have come to realize is that the trials and tribulations of having divorced parents never fully goes away. I have long accepted that they will never be together again. Surprisingly that was pretty easy to come to terms with. The part that still completely puzzles me and frankly makes me want to pull my hair out is the holidays or any other major events.

I am married now so when we spend the holidays with my wife's family, I am secretly a little relieved that I do not have to deal with the heartache and headache of trying to coordinate everything with my family. I realize this may sound heartless but unless you have divorced parents you can never fully understand. The problem is you can never truly make everyone happy. These are the little things that need to be included in a divorce manual. Everyone focuses on, who is going to get the couch or how will we work out joint custody of our goldfish. Honestly, if it were me, why not just flush the fish. That way you can both feel miserable. I realize I am compounding the divorce process and their are bigger struggles than those I have listed. I simply wish that people realized the finality of their decision when getting a divorce. Every time I drive by the sign that says, "Divorce in a Day" I want to call the number on the sign and have them come with me to my next family function. There are no quick fixes.

Hm, this is a music blog so I will say I bought the new Sea Wolf album today. Upon first listen I give it a 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment