Tuesday, January 19, 2010

YesterYear

When I was in college I got a video camera for Christmas one year. I proceeded to do what any college sophomore would do with a video camera, I filmed everything. To be fair not everything. Most of the footage I have is from when we returned from the bars and were acting as typical college males do, immature and drunk.

When I originally filmed, I thought it would be hilarious to watch how stupid everyone acted and that the events would be comical. I watched the footage for the first time tonight in 8 years. There were definitely parts that made me laugh but what jumped out at me the most were the little things. The photos and posters that covered my dorm room walls served as reminders of my interests. There was not a bare space on the wall. A few years ago I was going to trash all of the footage. After watching it, I realize that it is not all about the few embarrassing moments but a reminder of the close knit friendships I had in college. The nostalgia that I took away from the footage is that we were a bunch of strangers coming together and becoming real friends. The best part about video is that it gives you a real sense of what you were like in that phase of your life. Photographs are great but they do not tell the whole story.

To the dismay of my friends, I have decided to keep the footage not because I want to relive college but it is a piece of me. Who knew that something that was supposed to be for making throw away junkie films turned into something more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment