Thursday, February 11, 2010

Finding Comfort in a Pair of Shoes

For a blog that has New Balance in the description line, I really do not do much talking about shoes. What is there to say, they are fantastic shoes, end of story. Truth be told, a week or so after I started this blog I realized that writing about a shoe brand and life would be tough. Since I was so stoked about the graphic for the logo and am a bit lazy, I left the tag line. I wear New Balance shoes all the time so really it is more of a statement about me rather than the shoe company. Anyway, here is a shoe story to satisfy my obligation. Enjoy

I was so pissed when I heard that New Balance was discontinuing the 574's. I know it is pathetic and they are just a pair of shoes but I have had a pair continuously for the past 5 years. It was as if a part of me was being discontinued. It got me thinking about my brand loyalty. As weird as it sounds, I have clung to these shoes because they have been through a lot with me. If I look for consistency in my life, the two things I can think of are my wife and these shoes. In the go-go times of the internet think about the consistencies in your life. Wasn't that hard? If you have kids and a dog your list may be a little longer.

When I needed a new pair of shoes 3 months ago, I hoped to send a message. I had tried other New Balance models and they were not the same so I purchased a pair of Saucony's. My initial thinking was that all quintessential retro running shoes were the same. I had heard good things about Saucony so I took a chance. They initially wore fairly similar. The smaller toe box I could get over. There is not as much cushion, okay. Where I have really noticed the difference is now. They do not have the same workmanship of my New Balance. I always considered my 574's as something that got better with age. Every pair I have owned has lasted at least a year. My Saucony's already have me thinking about new shoes. The padding has worn down, the materials feel cheap and they just do not feel sturdy anymore. I never realized I could miss a shoe so much. So here I sit, surfing the net, looking for a store that still sells 574's. I am hoping to recapture a little bit of my past.


PS - I realize I am mourning a pair of shoes and that it is a bit over the top. Still we all have our brands. I am a product of my environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment