Monday, August 10, 2009

Radio Daze


I was listening to radio the other day in my car and started wondering if the DJ's who play music really like the music or just being on the radio. This thought came to mind because I think of the radio as more or less white noise unless I am tuned into the AM dial or NPR. There is nothing new or challenging, it is more or less just there. I realize that everyone has different musical tastes but it is odd to me that every top 40 radio DJ loves the same poppy contrived flavor of the week song. You know which one I am talking about, the one about being broken hearted and has something about, "I will do anything for you" or "you are my everything" in it, wait they all sound like that.

My point is, do DJ's like playing the same 3 or 4 songs? Back when I was on high school radio, all I wanted to do was expose people to new rare tracks that could not be heard anywhere else. I forget sometimes that leaving the power in the hands of the DJ's is not exactly marketable to advertisers. This is why the radio is white noise; the people who chose the play lists for mainstream radio stations are not music fans, they are business people. They only understand music in the sense that it has earning potential. Do not confuse the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment