Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shed a Tear for Grunge


What ever happened to grunge rock? I miss the distorted guitars and angst filled lyrics. It was music for a generation that felt left behind. Nobody else seemed to care so why should they. Anger filled rock still exists today it is just not the same. Today's heavy rock acts prefer to integrate hip-hop into their music. It makes sense. Many of today's rockers grew up listening to an eclectic mix of music and do not want to be pigeon holed into one music category. Personally, I think this leads to a lot of mediocre music. You have bands that cannot decide what style of music they want to create and they produce albums that are a misguided mess. I am not here to complain. There is a lot of good music out there. I just miss grunge. The closest thing I get to that these days is seeing someone in a flannel shirt as it is the latest trend. I cannot help but get nostalgic when I see someone in flannel. I ask them if they have heard the latest Sub Pop compilation. They give me a confused look wondering if that is a new club in LoDo.

No comments:

Post a Comment